Sunday, February 3, 2008

He Ain't No Danny Glover



Throughout the years I have witnessed the many different films of Stan Brakhage.  But one of the things that have discouraged me in my findings is the actual writings by the filmmaker.  I have been marvelized at this short films of Brakhage, their simplicity but yet brilliance, in the complexity of the manipulation of the inks that he uses.  The essay by him, it seems to me that he actually "dumbs" down the reader by explicity explaining the craft he composed in terms that were comprehendible by a simple fifth grader.  I must express though, in class I was taught the same concepts by Andre, so maybe that is why I throughout my impulses to critic such a noble filmmaker.  

In the end though, Brakhage explains easily the techinques he uses in his films.  The beginning section just seemed too much of a overexplanation and theory into what he actually does.  I may just be concentrating on the bad, but I had hoped to feel a much more connection to the film to in which he explains.  In a better outlook, I would have hoped that Stan Brakhage made it feel much connected to the film that he explained.  The devotion he has the filmic aspect is remarkable and the way he carries out his vision becomes a new and invigorating motivation in film.  But luckily, I feel that I am gaining the strengths in the realm of experimental filmmaking.  I hope that in gaining this new expertise by the master filmmaker of Brakage, I can develop something intelligible in the comforts of the expressionism of experimental

No comments: