Sunday, February 17, 2008

Where is my Chewbacca PEZ dispenser??



I checked the website www.eatpes.com out recently and I found myself liking it alot.  The "Short Shorts" section was really neat, because it used the common household objects and personified them.   Starting with "Cake Countdown"  I could tell how much time he puts into it since you can see that he uses a large amount of pictures to make the animation fluid and seamless.  The Moth short intrigued me even more since I wondered how he made the paper clip suspend without seeing any strings or wires.  Even though these shorts are never longer than half a minute, there are different layers of experimental and animation engrained in the films.  As I begin to comprehend the process of animation, it is clear that it takes time and dedication to pull of the shots.  I must be honest, I am not the type to be able to concentrate my focus in frame by frame animation, I have a better chance at staying awake in a Mizoguchi film, then putting all of my attention the compostion of the shot.  But hopefully I will pull something off that looks interesting for once.  

The films we watched in class were awesome, espically KaBoom, and the behind the scenes was eye opening of the simplicity of how Pes went about making the film and the inspirations behind it.  It is amazing that with just a little imagination and some random stuff can one make cool stuff.  I am looking foward to the shoot tomrrow and the animation project that we will be doing.  It may be a little tough to get used to but I feel good that I can accomplish something.  I really want to learn about the Super 8 camera and get my hands on it and see all that it can to.  In the past couple of weeks I have been having a blast getting to mess with film as the medium itself and the complexites of it.  All the high budget movies of today and it is good to know that with just a roll, we can make a different kind of film ourselves and in some cases it will be better than the films in the multiplexes.  

In this new section we are delving into with animation, I am excited in grasping the concepts that go into creating a short animation film.  I feel like it could help other areas of my process of filmmaking and it could help with the logisitics of cheesy special effects that I love so much in films.  The Pes film, Game Over used the vintage sound effects of old games and the whole nostalgia with animation and these old effects is what I like to see in films.  Animation has changed so much today, so we expect Finding Nemo or The Lion King whenever the word "animation" is brought up.  In the work of Pes, we realize that there lies an entire world of film that is not in the huge markets we are exposed to.  In the power of the internet, people can have the oppruntiny to see the films and get a taste of something different for once.
Got a heavy day tomorrow animating it up so on that note.....


Gumby-Slide Out!!!

No comments: