Tuesday, April 22, 2008

I Fooouunndd Something!!


Working on the Found Footage project made me realize how much time and effort takes place in bringing together the whole film.  One of the most interesting aspects is that your have a full arsenal at your disposal when in comes to finding the footage.  I used www.archive.org as my foundation and it was full of stuff I could use.  Drifting through all of the different areas, such as old Public Service Announcements to sports clips, I Decided on this funny hockey clip of two of the players fighting each other.  What made it soo funny was the announcer, he kept repeating himself, and being the fan of sports fights I was enthralled to what I found.  The clips was long itself, so it fit perfectly within the bounds of what I could accomplish in  a minute.  The next section of video that I found was particularly captivating.  It was a whole array of people that had recorded themselves beating various video games.  They beat the games really fast, at ridiculous speeds that the average person would not even attempt to try.

            I thought it would be cool if I tried to juxtapose various images from the fighting oriented video games.  I took snippets and then placed them by each others side and then left little sections of the hockey video to remind the viewer what the original footage was.  Most importantly, I left intact all the audio from the Hockey video and then I placed the Megaman Theme on top of it.  Once it was all placed together it looked really sweet. I am very happy the way it came out. 

            I see how much patience that it takes to edit found footage projects, there were some points where I got frustrated because of the conversion rates and trying to overcome the problems of printing it to tape. But after a while I was able to pull it off. In my editing class we had kind of the same guidelines of creating a found footage project, so it was rough trying to get through both found footage projects at the same time.  The project though sparked new interest to what I can use in future projects, since most of the footage is public domain, I can create just about anything. 

            The experimental aspect that found footage gives, is that you are limitless to create anything, if one is just a little savvy at the controls of a editing program such as Final Cut Pro, it is easy to make a cool and intriguing piece.  If I encounter found footage films again, I am going to look at them with a new respect, after seeing the involvement that the last project did.

No comments: